Defeating Defeat
Today,
while trying to work out yet another budget, I became overwhelmed by the
expenses of everyday student life and had a silent, but deadly
meltdown. I had just
finished having a stressful conversation, although it was really more of a
rant, with my parents about all the
money I owed to my school and I listed off my concerns:
1. I had to
pay back a few thousand in just a few months in order to enroll next year.
2. If it
wasn’t paid in full, I would miss the courses that would allow me to go into
the second half of my university career at another campus.
3. I had a
trip coming up that I needed to save for.
4. I still
had bills to pay in the meantime.
And on and on and on.
As the echo
of the conversation became unbearable, I took a break and went surfing through
my phone. I came across a photo with four squares, each containing quotes about
why worrying is useless. One box
said “Everything is only just inside your
head. Stop worrying.” I gave myself a few minutes to let those words sink
in.
While I sat
back on my bed, holding back the kind of tears that come from feeling entirely helpless, I got a text message
from my Dad. The text said:
“Remember Steph, I love you and we will work
this out. Ok? Love, dad.”
My eyes
welled with tears and began to stream down my cheek. I’ve cried thousands of
times throughout my lifetime, but this time, the tears felt so different. They weren’t the tears that come from feeling
sad. Or the kind that come when you’re angry. They weren’t even the tears that fall from feeling happy.
They were the kind of tears that come from
having no hope in one instance, and more hope than you know what to do with in
the next.
When I got
that text message, I felt relieved. Something
about the question mark after the “ok” made me feel like he was almost
reminding me that this was no big
deal. It was just a part of life that everyone goes through, but a part
of life that cannot be faced, dealt with, and overcome without some sort of strength, and much less worry.
Ultimately,
life doesn’t “just flow” for
everyone. In fact, life doesn’t “just
flow” for anyone. It is people that make life go smoothly. It is the
decisions that they make, the words that they speak, and whether they take it all in stride.
It was
really a case of:
“Whether you think you can or you can’t-you’re
right.”
I looked at
all the numbers and felt defeated, so
my thoughts, actions, and words followed suit, and if there hadn’t been the
intervention of that picture, paired with the text message from my Dad and my
memory of Henry Ford’s quote, I truly
believe I really would have been defeated and consumed by this debt, or rather,
the illusion of it.
When I got
back to budgeting, I broke it down monthly, then weekly. I did all the calculations I could that
allowed me to live comfortably and productively.
In the end, I saw that only a few minor
cutbacks were needed, I would still get to go on and enjoy my trip, and by the
time September came around I would be in great shape.
Henry Ford must
have found himself in my exact situation, or at least one like it, when he
spoke those words of wisdom and genius. Although I highly doubt that in his
time, he was juggling a Rogers bill and a student loan, unless of course they
had those in the early 1900s. But the fact that even one hundred years ago, these words rang true, is a testament to the
power of your own thought.
That
picture with four quotes about the uselessness of worrying, reminding me that “worry is a misuse of imagination” made
me feel like maybe I hadn’t been imaginative enough. I should have been using
my imagination to construct the scene of
victory, rather than a war-torn path to bankruptcy. Instead, I clouded my own thoughts, my own imagination, with
pessimism, ew!
If I were optimistic
in this instance, I would’ve seen that I had the tools to help me get through
this rut:
1. I got a
new job that pays twice what my last job did.
2. I
recently created the Gail Vaz-Oxlade budget (which I will be blogging about
this sometime this week).
3. I was
living rent-free.
4. I had a
vacation to look forward to.
And on and on and on.
If you ever
find yourself feeling defeated, which might be anywhere from a few times daily,
or a few times yearly, it is up to you to defeat
the feeling of defeat. Find some sort of ritual; listen to a certain song,
have a good cry, get lost in an amazing book, or have a very large class of your
favorite alcoholic beverage. Do something
that allows you to be a stronger person for the time it takes to overcome
whatever situation you find yourself in.
More than
having a go-to ritual though, we have to set ourselves up for victory;
mentally, physically, and emotionally-which means preparing for breakdowns such
as the one I had today. The truth is; most people set themselves up for failure
too easily. When we hear people tell us that we can’t do it, we believe that we
can’t do it. It might not get to us at first, but after we continue to hear it,
we start to believe it.
Take that and flip it. If the more we hear something, the
more we believe it, then everyday we should be telling ourselves that we are
winners. Everyday we should tell ourselves that we can do it. And in the case
we, for some reason, cannot find it within ourselves to say the words, we
should have people there to tell us what we need to hear to keep us going.
In this
case, it was my Dad. It was his short text message, the thirty seconds he took
to type it, and the need in my heart to hear it, which in turn allowed me to
believe that yes, we will work it out.
Because everything
always works out.
Yet still,
we worry. Still, we get upset. We get frustrated, and we get angry. But how far
can a car make it with the engine light
on, the oil light on, the gas light on, and the service light on? Every piece of worry, every piece of frustration, every piece of
anger, is like a light on your dashboard that needs to be turned off in
order for you to run better, perform smoothly, and most of all, arrive at your destination.
If you’re
going to be in the car, you really ought to think about taking the driver’s
seat.
Labels: defeat, driver's seat, driving, finding victory, freedom, happiness, manual, men's empowerment, peace, stick shift, victorious, winning, women empowerment


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home